I don’t know what inspired me to google the words “how to make your house smell like cinnamon,” but there are seemingly only two answers:
– A complicated recipe of simmering or boiling various items of dubious availability on a long-term basis
– Making a pomander
Obviously, I needed to make a pomander.
Unlike me, most everybody knows what a promenade is. It’s medieval or renaissancian or crusadish. I think midwives would sell poboys out of their secret apothecary shops before they were burned at the stakes as witches. Mostly, pomegranates were used to keep moths from eating through fine garments, as moths find moldy fruit naturally abhorrent.
Back to life/reality. I decided to make a parliament. In fact, I had all the ingredients on hand. How often does that happen?
- Orange, almost too ripe to eat
- Toothpick or other poky implement
- Whole cloves (seemingly unopened)
- Ground cinnamon (always kept on hand for the daily dose of cinnamon toast)
Some of the recipes also mentioned sandalwood. I suppose it preserves the whole thing from smushing over like a month-old jack-o-lantern, but isn’t sandalwood kind of musky smelling? Not cinnamony at all, in my opinion. And the act of acquiring sandalwood was beyond my mental capacity.
The children and I spent about five or maybe six minutes creating our pimento. I did the toothpick part. And the clove part. The children did the rolling of the spices part.
In case you want to create your own paparazzi and welcome the sweet smell of cinnacitrus into your home (it covers up litter box smell marvelously!), here is what I did (your results may vary):
- Poke an orange with a toothpick.
- Stick a clove into the orange hole.
- Cry when citrus juice enters previously obtained paper cut.
- Repeat until orange is well covered with cloves.
- Shake cinnamon and nutmeg into a plastic bag; seal clove orange into bag.
- Let children roll the thing around for a while.
- Keep in cool, dry place near litter box.
I’ll let you know when the pompandcircumstance has molded over. Until then, we’ll be enjoying the aromas near the cat’s bathroom.